For the last month, I have been trying to figure out how to deal with stuff that has accumulated in our laundry room. It didn’t happen overnight, it started slow and then just kept piling up. Some of it got left there and then lost underneath the other stuff. Most of it came out of the craft room when I straightened my table and the area around Boo’s desk.
I’ve procrastinated about dealing with it because not only do I need to tackle the pile but I also need to move my sewing stuff out of the rolling shelf in between the washer and dryer. Moving that stuff means moving a bunch of stuff in the craft room. As much as I want everything straightened up, the thought of making a mess in two different rooms makes me want to go running, screaming into the night.
I pondered dealing with it for several weeks and then I began to work out in my head how to get it done with a minimal amount of mess. Last night while we were watching TV I started sorting the laundry room. I have containers on a shelf above the washer and dryer. I brought those in one by one and sorted through them, cleared one out and packed it with something else. After the shelf was straightened I sorted through the pile on the dryer. Half of the pile got thrown into the hamper, towels that had apparently been pulled out of the washer and never thrown in the dryer. It’s Arizona, it’s hot and once they dried they just became part of the pile. The rest of it I sorted in piles to deal with later. Then I pulled out the rolly shelf between the washer and dryer. Luckily I had sorted the sorting stuff into small stackable containers. I set those on the dryer and then put the iron and all of the other ironing accessories in the rolly cart.
This morning, I pulled all of the boxes and other stuff out from under my table in the craft room. I had a plan to put my sewing machine under the wire shelf attached to the legs of the table but the sewing didn’t quite fit, it slid under perfectly until it hit the bobbin feed. So annoying. Twenty minutes, a bit of swearing and two aborted plans later I got everything set up under my desk. I really need to cover the wire shelf with foam core or cardboard to make everything sit well but it all fit perfectly. I am really pleased that my sewing stuff is now officially in the craft room. Yay!
Of course, I still have to deal with the stuff stacked up in the hallway and the piles sorted onto the sewing table and the couch.
Also this morning, I printed up labels for the containers and baskets in the laundry room. I will have to make a another post about labeling, it’s addictive. Regardless of my addiction, Sully and Boo will now know where things are and where they need to go. Another yay for me!