A few weeks ago, I talked about Sully, Boo and I each having Kindle 2s with the same Amazon black cover. We are loving our Kindles, and the Amazon brand cover. It’s a great cover but we keep mixing up our Kindles, and I wouldn’t mind a little color. I decided to try to make a slipcover for my Kindle cover.
I like using fat quarters because you can quickly grab whatever catches your eye. You can use whatever fabric floats your boat.
After some internet research, I found this tutorial on the College Prep blog. It’s basically a fabric version of the paper book covers that most of us made at one point or another in grade school. I followed her directions for the most part but then, because I seem to lack the ability to follow directions I made some changes.
First, the measurements –
I laid the Kindle case down on top of the fabric and marked an inch above and below, and three inches on each side.
At the beginning –
– I used light fusible interfacing to make the slipcover look a bit sharper. The inside edges look more finished, as well.
– I put the Kindle case into the slipcover and pinned a piece of elastic at the top at the fold. I ran it down the fold and pinned it at the bottom and stitched the elastic to the fabric. I folded the elastic under at both ends and unfolded the fabric before stitching to keep the front of the cover stitch free.
Your slipcover will look like this. The black elastic looks out of place here but blends in when it’s on the cover. It keeps the slipcover from bunching when you open and close the cover.
I made the pink one for Boo and the blue one for me. Sully decided to stick with his black cover.
It was a pretty easy craft project. The first one took an hour or so as figured out what I was doing. The second cover took less than 30 minutes.
Feel free to ask any questions in the comments section.