I am a bit excited about our upcoming trip to Disneyland and to Mickey’s Halloween party. I’ve decided to get a jump on the costumes, especially since last year was a ten day marathon of cutting, pinning and cutting. I am hoping the preparation this year will be a bit more relaxed.
This weekend I spent some time looking at some different costume ideas. We’d decided on the pirate theme earlier this year so at least I am that far along. Of course, you’d be surprised at the different options for pirate costumes, especially given the many costumes featured in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. We have the added factor of getting on and off of rides at Disneyland to think about when choosing a costume. I liked different elements of these costumes, which I found at Spirit Halloween. I like the asymmetrical skirt on the first and last ones and the vest and hat options on the other costumes. Overall, though my costume will need to be a little less sexy, I want to go more for cute and sassy. It is for Disneyland after all.
My plan is to make a skirt similar to the first picture but not as short in the front and not as long in the back. This weekend I started looking through my patterns and fabric. I remembered that I bought a remnant of some pretty brocade last Christmas. I think it will make a really pretty vest. I originally planned to make a loose fitting corset but even loose fitting boning might be a little painful for the rides.
So, with that I decided on a color scheme; white pirate shirt, the teal/blue brocade for the vest, black skirt and white underskirt. I will probably make some black boot covers, more on that in a few weeks.
I started on the white underskirt, cutting out a modified circle skirt. Then I started to cut the skirt into the shape that I wanted. I’ll be adding about six inches of lace to the bottom edge and another tier above that.
I have a lot of lace that my grandmother gave me, it had already been cut into pieces about 10″ x 14″. I sewed several pieces together along the t14″ side and then cut the whole chain in half to make a 7″ wide strip. Then I had my two tiers of lace for the skirt.
Here’s the mostly finished underskirt…
Now I just have to work on the overskirt and attach it all to a waistband.
Stay tuned for more costume updates next week!