Star Trek: The Motion Picture
I love the Star Trek movies but this is the movie that I’ve seen the least. I can quote practically every line in the following movies but I’ve only seen this one for the third time. I love how the movie looks, the cinematography is amazing but the pacing is so unlike the usual Star Trek story that it felt a little off in places. There were a few little things that didn’t seem to fit the Star Trek universe as well, but all in all it’s a good movie. For a movie that started out as a reboot of the television series and went through several revisions and scripts it was a good entry for the series on the big screen.
Next week… Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
It might still be summertime here in sunny Arizona but we are already looking ahead to the fall.
Last night I was going through the mail that had accumulated while we were on vacation, we got a flyer from Disney advertising the different events coming up in the fall. When we were at Disneyland last October we saw a lot of people participating in the Halloween festivities and it looked like a lot of fun.
Sully saw the flyer and asked about what dates things were happening. I did more research online at the Disneyland website. We discussed dates, checked our calendars and Sully requested the time off work. So guess where we are going in October?
Mickey’s Halloween Party!
We were planning on dressing as pirates this year so it works out perfectly. It’s totally silly but I am really excited!
A few weeks ago, I talked about Sully, Boo and I each having Kindle 2s with the same Amazon black cover. We are loving our Kindles, and the Amazon brand cover. It’s a great cover but we keep mixing up our Kindles, and I wouldn’t mind a little color. I decided to try to make a slipcover for my Kindle cover.
I like using fat quarters because you can quickly grab whatever catches your eye. You can use whatever fabric floats your boat.
After some internet research, I found this tutorial on the College Prep blog. It’s basically a fabric version of the paper book covers that most of us made at one point or another in grade school. I followed her directions for the most part but then, because I seem to lack the ability to follow directions I made some changes.
First, the measurements –
I laid the Kindle case down on top of the fabric and marked an inch above and below, and three inches on each side.
At the beginning –
– I used light fusible interfacing to make the slipcover look a bit sharper. The inside edges look more finished, as well.
At the end –
– I put the Kindle case into the slipcover and pinned a piece of elastic at the top at the fold. I ran it down the fold and pinned it at the bottom and stitched the elastic to the fabric. I folded the elastic under at both ends and unfolded the fabric before stitching to keep the front of the cover stitch free.
Your slipcover will look like this. The black elastic looks out of place here but blends in when it’s on the cover. It keeps the slipcover from bunching when you open and close the cover.
I made the pink one for Boo and the blue one for me. Sully decided to stick with his black cover.
It was a pretty easy craft project. The first one took an hour or so as figured out what I was doing. The second cover took less than 30 minutes.
Feel free to ask any questions in the comments section.